- Obstetrician and Gynecologist
- General Internal Medicine
- Product Manager
- Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning (AI/ML) Engineer
- Full-Stack Developer
- Cloud Architect
- DevOps Engineer
- Blockchain Engineer
- Software Architect
- Big Data Engineer
- Internet of Things (IoT) Solutions Architect
- Data Scientist
- Cyber Security Architect
The Ultimate Guide to Finding a Job in Japan in 2023?
Average Salary in Japan in 2023?
Job Market in Japan in 2023?
Higher Education in Japan in 2023?
How to Find a Job in Japan in 2023?
How to begin job hunting in Japan in 2023?
Job hunting, job seeking, or job searching is the process of looking for new employment.
This can be due to various reasons. Such as recently being made redundant resulting in unemployment. Consequently the need for finding a new job is enhanced due to the loss of income. Job hunting when unemployed is typically the most stressful, but it is important to remember what your career goals are when searching for a new job in Japan. Jumping into the first job offered in the wrong industry, location, career path or seniority will eventually lead to unhappiness and a new job search in the near future.
Job seeking can also occur when an employee feels they need a new challenge or pay rise. When a job seeker feels there is no opportunity for growth within their current company, this is one of the largest drivers for initiating a job search in Japan
It is common for companies to try and counter offer employees when they hand their notice in, after a successful external job search. Statistics show that this is usually ineffective and too late in retaining the majority of job seekers in staying.
What is important to Japanese job seekers when looking for a new job and company in Japan?
A recent survey has shown that there are several drivers important for job hunters, when searching for new jobs in Japan.
- Salary & Company benefits. Job seekers who feel valued through their pay, operate more efficiently. Employers who pay fair salaries find their staff engaged and motivated to drive the business forward
- Company Culture. How the company operates, looks after and cares for its employees is incredibly important to ensuring employees enjoy going to work. Finding a company that has a mission, core values and purpose that align with job seekers is especially important with Millennials & the younger workforce generation
- Opportunity for Growth. Job hunters who see a defined career progression path within a business with an appropriate pay package do not need to leave to enhance their skills and salary
- Work flexibility. This can range from hours of the day to location. The rise in remote working and working from home are becoming big incentives for job hunters looking for work life balance
- Seniority. As job seekers climb the corporate ladder, with that comes more responsibility and greater pay. Internal promotions are harder to come by for job hunters than external job opportunities
- Job security, especially at certain points of your career can be very important to job hunters. The greater the job security a company can offer, the greater stability and piece of mind this will offer a job hunter. Less stress equals more productivity
Top Tips to finding a job in Japan in 2023
Understand your career goals and your value
- What do you want to do and why?
- What is your strategy and career roadmap to lead you to a happy retirement?
- Do you need to reskill your personal development to achieve this?
- Night school or new educational course?
- Can you afford to take a salary reduction in the short term to gain in the long run?
- What is your salary expectation?
- Long game vs short game?
- Many positions start with low salaries but the potential to grow into large salaries comes with experience.
Research your career opportunities
- Speak to mentors or people working in positions you aspire for
- Understand salaries and work environment of prospective career
- Research future trends in employement. Is this something that will be around in the future? The Future of Work is changing how we work and many jobs may not exist in the future. Is your potential career path future-proof?
Write, or update your CV/Resume
- Ensure this reflects you in best manner
- Has key words that are relevant to your experience and skills
- Work with a professional if this is something you struggle with
- Get feedback from hiring managers and recruiters on your CV
- Ensure your reputation is good
- Check social media for any bloopers
- Volunteer and complete community work
Update your profile of job boards in Japan that meet your work requirements
- Ensure your job board profile is up to date
- Apply for jobs that match your requirements and skills
- Applying for jobs that aren't a great match can result in reputational damage with hiring managers and recruiters
- Include a great cover letter summarizing your best attributes and why you are suitable for the job
Put your best foot forward for job interviews and ace it!
- Do your research on the hiring manager and company
- Prepare for interview tests, whiteboard scenarios or technical questions
- Don’t be late for the interview
- Dress professionally
- Maintain eye contact
- Answer with confidence and ask questions
- Negotiate confidently your salary expectations
Follow up post interview
- Always follow up after an interview to either say thank you for your time or chase if you haven't received feedback
Select reputable referees
- Ensure job references are relevant and trusted from respected companies in Japan
- Accept the job offer if the company meets your values and culture expectations
- Accept the job if the salary meets your expectations
- Accept the job if it meets your career path progression
Hand in your notice with your current employer
- Remain professional and they may be your future referee or even employer again
- Reputation is everything, dont damage yours when leaving a company
Happy job hunting and best of luck landing that dream job in Japan
Search & Find Jobs in Japan
Need to find a job near me in Japan? If you have followed our job seeker guide to finding jobs in Japan you have a great chance of landing that dream job. Best of luck in your job search!
What are the Best job boards in Japan
Jobseekers searching for jobs in Japan find the below job portals in in Japan as the best job websites for finding employment in in Japan
Find best local jobs in Japan in 2023?
Need to find a job near me in Japan. Check out local jobs near you.
Towns & Cities in Japan
Prefectures in Japan
Frequently Asked Questions
- Business Analysis
- Web & App Development
- Software Engineer
- Data Analyst
- Hospitality Staff
- Gig Jobs
- Weekend work
- Out of Hours
- Night shift
- Work From Home
- Work From Anywhere
See here for more Help & Support questions